The syllabus says that you should be able to:
- describe common backing storage media and their associated devices:
- identify typical uses of the storage media, including types of access (e.g. serial/sequential, direct/random) and access speeds;
- describe the comparative advantages and disadvantages of using different backing storage media;
- define the term backup and describe the need for taking backups;
- describe the difference between main/internal memoryand backing storage, stating the relative benefits of each in terms of speed and permanence.